Monday, February 3, 2020

Musical Monday: I won't say I'm in Love

This is February, the month of, in theory, love.

In practice, it's the month of chocolate candies (which I like) and a nauseating, unappealing shade of pastel pink (which I, obviously, don't like).

However, it doesn't hurt to talk love during a time such as this.

Most of the good songs are about this kind of thing.  As I cannot stress enough, I don't have anybody in my life right now.

Real love is putting somebody else before yourself, and it's every bit as difficult as it sounds.  Sometimes, the selfless thing is truly painful for you, and sometimes, I was the one who caused hurt, and have honestly felt guilty about it, and would really like a chance to make it right somehow.  This can make relationships choices difficult, if these stay on your mind, which is Megara's problem here:



It's amazing how many genres this one song covers, like most other Hercules songs: It's a 1950s-style ballad primarily composed of the musical elements you typically find in R&B and the doo-wop ballads, overall capturing a strong MoTown feel to it.

As for the lyrics, they make it all too clear that Megara knows what it's like to be hurt.  I can't say I know it on the same scale that she does, and I thank God for that, but I know tons of people who sadly do, and it's all to painfully clear to me just how much this affects them.

Who knows? Maybe in the future, I'll say this over some woman.  Maybe she'll be new, maybe she'll be somebody I knew previously.  I don't know.  I am open to all possibilities.  I only know this much:

It most likely won't be easy for me to say!

No comments: